Mavuno preparatory phase is a proposed stage in giving the youths in Mathare loans to start up small businesses. It was introduced early last year with the aim of reaching the vulnerable youths in Mathare to get access to Mavuno Loans, which is a program involved in giving revolving loans to the marginalized population in Mathare slums
It involves recruiting the youths and mobilizing them to form groups. They are introduced to Maji Mazuri and its various activities and told more about Mavuno micro finance loans
Since January 2011, 50 youths have been recruited and gone through this stage whereby 40 of them have been given a soft loan of Ksh. 500 each. This Phase prepares the youth to join the bigger Mavuno loan. These loans play a great role in the livelihoods of the slum dwellers and facilitate them to have something on the table.
The whole package involves
- Introduction to Mavuno Maji Mazuri
- making their own constitution
- Introduction of merry-go-round (chamas)
- Giving the small loans of 500/=
- Support groups on topical discussion
- Volunteering in community service e.g. clean ups, visiting homes for the aged and orphans e.t.c.
- Writing of the business plan and proposals
- Graduation ceremony after finalizing the loan repayment
- Assessment and handing over to Mavuno youth
This phase has been very successful in preparing youths who face challenges of alcoholism, prostitution, domestic violence, low self-esteem etc. The money repaid goes back to the group as a revolving loan to other members and does not attract any interest rate.
We are now targeting four groups from different areas within Mathare; every group has 20 members who are to be recruited and graduate to the bigger Mavuno.
The whole process will take a period of 10 weeks before graduating to the main Mavuno.
The targeted groups are:
- Muoroto group( 20 members)
- Kariguini group (20 members)
- Mathare 4B ladies(20 members)
- Bondeni ( 20 members)
- Sare Moja youths( 20 youths)
The group will undergo the following.
- Introduction to Maji Mazuri Mavuno.
- Make a Constitution.
- Merry go round (chamas).
- Training sessions & counseling.( guest speakers )
- Formation of groups of 5 ( SUPPORT GROUP )
- Topic discussion.
- Start savings.
- Get a loan of2 500/=.
- Finalization of the loan payment and savings.
- Graduation ceremony
The program has brought about huge success to many youths and has shaped their lifestyle. Youths in Mathare valley has been subjected to abject poverty due to the hard economical times. Some has resorted to engaging in anti-social activities and have ruined their lives in the process.